Saturday, February 16, 2008

Tell me your beer and I will tell you who you support

I was doing some research the other day and quite frankly I found myself on the Reuters India website where there is an article about Cyprus. The article of course describes how the team you support in Cyprus is an indicator of the candidate you will vote for in the elections and it goes on making fun of Cypriots and how Apollon fans are supporters of Kasoulides, Apoel fans are mixed supporters of Tassos and Kasoulides and Omonia fans are hardcore supporters of communist AKEL. And of course the article wraps up with this statement: "In an island where even your taste of beer can show your political preferences". Funny huh..how we think we are the center of the world and how everybody in the world makes fun of us. By that time tomorrow we will probably know the two presidential candidates going into the second round. The candidates have wrapped up their campaigns each with their own tricks and now the power is in the hands of the voters.

Let's just travel a little bit outside Cyprus now and talk about Zimbabwe. I was amazed by what I read today. If you live in Zimbabwe and you are a worker and you get a paycheck (let's assume at 5pm on a Friday) by the time you get home (let's assume at 6pm on Friday) then you might as well throw it away because it will not worth anything. With the highest inflation rate in the world of about 66000% and with predictions saying that it could get up to 1.5million% the situation is crazy. Just imagine the price of a bottle of milk being 1 Zimbabwean dollar on January 1st 2008, with the current inflation rate it will be about 66,000 Zimbabwean dollars on January 1st 2009. Isn't that CRAZY???

Life goes on here as usual. SMESES. School, Meetings, Eat, Study, Eat, Sleep. Final exams are coming up this week for three of my classes. Then there is a week of Business Marketing Academy when we will visit companies in Chicago and then two weeks of Spring Break. And then back to school!
I am off to dinner soon and then some drinking and maybe I will get to see some of the IU basketball game. Even though I am disappointed with coach Kelvin Sampson and his cheating recruiting techniques that hurt the university's reputation, I still hope that I will live the moments of 2002 with a NCAA final. Well..maybe if they bring Bobby Knight back.
Until then, take care
~Alk

No comments: