Sunday, February 17, 2008

And the vote goes to...

I bet that in 5 years, the presidential elections in Cyprus will be 'the most crucial for the island's history to end the fourth(by then) - decade division'. Like they were today, like they were in 2003, like they were in 1998, like they were in 1993. Cypriots will flood the streets honking their horns, singing, waving Cyprus and Greek flags celebrating the victory of the candidate they voted for. The next day, everybody will go to their work and they will talk about the elections and within a week everything will be back in the normal routine. Politicians will keep on fighting, we will have to listen to them, and then in 3 years we will have the most crucial Parliamentary elections and in 5 years the most crucial Presidential elections. It is a cycle and it keeps going and going and going...
Congratulations to Casoulides and Christofias for getting to the second round of the elections. Now the fun part starts. The two candidates will try to approach the person they were accusing the last 8+ months. They will try to make his voters feeling good by emphasizing their patriotism and we will probably see a cooperation of two parties that have cooperated in the past but it didn't work out. Actually the schmoozing started at around 6.30 pm (Cyprus time) when Papadopoulos was officially third in the run. What will happen, we will know within the next week...but please allow me to make a prediction. I believe that the new President of the Republic of Cyprus will be Dr. Ioannis Casoulides. I guess we will find out in about 160 hours.
By that time, I will be done with 4 more classes, 3 final exams and a final project. I will wake up, I will connect to the radio and I will listen to the radio. I will laugh with stupid comments, I will try to explain to Molly what is going on, and I will retreat to watch Panathinaikos. Life will go on. The Republic of Cyprus will exist and will manage equally well whether the new President is Demetris Christofias or Ioannis Casoulides. I have faith in both of them.

Taking the opportunity of Manchester United's win against Arsenal with 4-0, I will leave you today with a video that I love watching. It is a Rooney goal against Arsenal some years ago. Just forward to the 0.30 and listen to Andy Gray's amazing Scottish accent..



Until Cyprus elects its new president, take care!

No comments: