Monday, October 13, 2008

The morning adventure

Molly was in Indianapolis today and I had an interview so I decided that instead of taking the bus to school it would be better to get a taxi. Here is what happened in my 7 minutes in the taxi from home to school.
- On the way we picked another passenger from an orthopaedic center around here. He was going to a dorm, so I assumed that he was a freshman. He asked me if the reason I am wearing a suit and tie is because I am joining a fraternity. I told him that I am a graduate student and that I have an interview and he told me that he was supposed to wear a suit today because he is joining a fraternity.
- The taxi driver told me how much he likes his job. That was after he asked me if I am Irish (because you know, I look like Irish with my red hair) and I told him that I am Greek. I thought Cyprus might have confused him. So he told me that he loves his job because he gets to meet people from everywhere in the world.
- Following the discussion about people from everywhere he turned it into a discussion about a show..I think it is called "Man in the Wild" and he was telling me about this guy in Alaska who is not afraid of bears etc etc etc..I did switch him off and just said "Yeah"
- He also told me that he hopes that it rains so that the taxis are more busy today because they are not busy. I did bring up that they are a monopoly in the town and that when they are busy they cannot satisfy the student population. He did not reply to that. He just told me that he worked 12 hours yesterday and he only got paid for 8.
All that in 7 minutes..and it only cost me $12.

No comments: