Tuesday, January 11, 2011

New Year Resolutions

I have to admit that I have never heard of the term "New Year Resolution" before moving to America. And even then I don't remember ever having one (except one which didn't really work out). I see it as an excuse for people to feel good about themselves for a few days or weeks.

Let's see some examples:
1. "This year I want to be a better husband, friend and dad" - meaning that until right now you have been an asshole to your wife, not a good friend and you don't really like your child?

2. "I want to spend more time with my family and less at work" - meaning that you will not work 9 hours a day but 8 hours and 45 minutes

3. "I will go to the gym 4 times a week" - meaning that you will go to the gym 4 times the first week, the next week you will just drive by the gym on your way from work and find an excuse to not go

4. "I will stop eating crap food" - except fast food burgers, chocolates, burittos, processed cheese and other crap

5. "I will quit smoking" - meaning that you will quit smoking during the hours you are sleeping..

These are just a few examples..and here is an idea..instead of this crap NYR, just call it personal goal and stick with it..something like that.

1. "By the end of February I want to lose 5kg" (it doesn't really matter if you gain it afterwards)

2. "I will arrange a trip with my family in April somewhere nice" (that can probably make you a better husband and dad)

3. "I will arrange to meet with my friends at the pub every Wednesday night for drinks" (that will make you a better friend but probably a worse husband and dad..shit)

4. "I will smoke 2 cigarettes less every day for the next three weeks, then 3 less for the next month and so on..."

Anyway, I hope you got it now. You don't have to wait for New Year to make a resolution. Get over it and if you want, set Specific, Measurable goals instead of Unspecified, Unmeasurable New Years Resolution which you will probably never accomplish and then on December 31st you will be like..well, whatever it is a new year in a few hours, so let's just have a New New Year's Resolution.

No comments: