Thursday, July 15, 2010

15th July 1974

I was not born the day that some traitors changed history, causing the coup against the democracy of Cyprus, bringing the Turks in our island.

I know that they are as liable as the barbarian invaders. They are liable for the death of thousands Greek-Cypriots, for the missing persons, for the 200,000 refugees who were forced out of their houses.

I grew up, listening to the same things year after year. "We will fight for a just, sustainable solution to the Cyprus problem". Even today, 36 years after, I keep hearing the same thing.

I grew up going to school with notebooks that had the picture of our invaded island and the text "Δεν ξεχνώ" meaning "I will never forget our invaded land".

I grew up afraid, afraid that what happened in 1974 might happen again.

I grew up listening to my grandmother's and mother's stories of how they had to leave their house.

I grew up building hate for some people. And today, every day like today, every year on the 15th and 20th of July and on the 14th of August, this hate reaches its peak. For the traitors of Cyprus, for the invaders, for the people who have made my people suffer.

No comments: