Thursday, July 16, 2009

Can I please have my 18 cents back?

The other day I was having lunch with the family when I observed on the can of a Calsberg beer this competition. There was a code on the ring of the tin which you were supposed to send as a text message (SMS) to a specific number. Here is the picture of the code:




Now, the picture is not very clear but the code reads: C473$604. Another 5 people on the table confirmed that the 4th digit which is the one that was the most doubtful was a dollar sign ($). In the worst case scenario it could be an "S" but there are lines both on top and below of the character.

So I decided to send the SMS to the number. Cost of the SMS was 9cents. Here is the reply I got back:






Translated this reads: "Code C473$604 has not been accepted. Please check it and send it again. Thank you"


So just in case this was a mistake I decided to send the same code replacing "$" with the letter "S". Here we go again:


So again this reads: "Code C473S604 has not been accepted. Please check it and send it again. Thank you"

I thought that maybe the character in question could be a "5". By that time I was trying to calculate how many people have had the same luck as me and how many of these SMS are being charged to the telephone bills without the individual getting the opportunity to enter the competition.
I would very much like an answer from the distributors/ producers of Carlsberg in Cyprus but I doubt I will ever get one. I am sure that if I call them I would probably get annoyed and never get an answer, so I thought I would just post it here, hoping that many people will read it.
It is definitely not about the 18 cents, it is about the frustration and embarassment that I felt when I was fooled...

A.

No comments: